Stunning

Monday, April 12, 2010

Dr White, and Gordon Clark.

Recently on the Dividing line, near the very end of the show, James said he was not a Clarkian, and I believe he has spoke negatively very briefly on a few other occasions regarding the subject of Gordon Clark.


I have to admit to finding this very strange, given my understanding of Dr Whites views and methods, and his support for the likes of John Gill, Robert L. Reymond, and also given that he differs with the likes of John Murray and Ned Stonehouse who follow Van Til, one would think he would indeed think highly of the very capable Gordon Clark, so I am at a loss to grasp this.

I do know that years ago Dr White had a bit of a run in with one of Dr Clark's major proponents, the now departed and with the Lord, Dr John Robbins.
I would not think that would have any effect upon Dr White, at least I hope not.

I also wonder if Dr White has read any of Clarks works. If he has, surely he can see just how brilliant Clark was, and more than that, just how like-minded to himself in so many ways.

Anyway, just thinking out loud as usual. Everyone knows how much I love Dr White. I just hope he comes to prefer Clark over VanTil, that is my prayer.

Mark

4 comments:

ncguy said...

Just discovered your blog. Love it. Thanks. And I agree with you. I've known about Gordon Clark for years but had never read him. In the last three months, I started reading him and listening to John Robbin lectures also. Far from having a complete conclusion, but overall I've liked what I've read so far. "God and Evil" was excellent.

Turretinfan said...

Have you seen any specific criticisms of Clark by Dr. White? I cannot recall any.

J&R said...

I am becoming more and more aware of the tension that exists between Presbyterians and Reformed Baptists.

There are ecclesiastical differences that seem very hard for some to overcome. I wonder if the answer is just that simple?

It is White's great loss if he has indeed rejected Robbins and Clark for denominational reasons and therefore failed to give Clark a good read.

Especially since White's forte is theological debate, and sound logic is indispensable to maintaining successful debate.

Ronda

Mark Farnon (Tartanarmy) said...

Thanks for the comments....Turretinfan, I do not recall any "exact" comments from the good doc, but I do seem to remember a definite "negative stance" from Dr White regarding Gordon Clark.

As you have "his ear", perhaps you could ask him what he thinks about Dr Clark's "Theology". That would be much appreciated for sure, as I have this nagging feeling that perhaps he has not read Clark, but I could be wrong bro....Mark