Stunning

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Contemplation and inuendo from the Arminians.

Months on from the debate between James and Steve, we read.

http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=2573&sid=b3f686923bf1476dc2ef9c4c15bd4505

What is being said here is what is not being said here. Maybe one of these fine Christians will have the courage of their convictions!

Do we hear any interaction, scripture etc? No, we get this emotional and not so subtle insinuation that what is wrong is not the subject of the debate but the "yuckiness" of it all, and then the insinuation, a bit veiled, that it is perhaps the persons who are the problem, and obviously here James is once again the target.

Quote
I don't think it was the subject!

Have the courage of your convictions people and speak plainly, for if you do, others may see the parallel sentiment recorded in scripture regarding those (like James) who preach and teach the whole counsel of God, the amazing words spoken by Jesus, when He stated,

Joh 15:18 If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.

Mark

If I was not banned from posting there, I would love to engage some of the topics discussed over there, where there is little input from those of us from a reformed perspective who know what they are talking about and have something to add to the many discussions.

6 comments:

Brody said...

I was the author of the post to which you are referring, and yes, I believe that Steve clearly had the upper hand in the debate.

I am sure you disagree, but such is life.

Tartanarmy said...

Brody, care to demonstrate how Steve clearly had the upper hand in that debate?

That would be very interesting.

Lay it out for me "if" you can and I will at the very least be surprised and even encouraged by you.

I am not one for agreeing to disagree nor one to shrug off these important matters.
Stick around and interact.

Let us try and honor the Lord by what we believe is faithfully taught in His Word.

I am up to this if you are.

Mark

Brody said...

O.k Mark, lets start our discussion off like this:

Let me and you discuss the "p" of the tulip. We will go backwards, if you wish, starting with a discussion of "perseverance of the saints", and end with "total depravity".

I would not mind discussing what James and Steve had to say, but feel it would be a fruitless endeavor. Let them worry about such things. Meanwhile, we shall see if perhaps me and you can come to any areas of understanding.

You up for it?

Tartanarmy said...

Sure am, but starting in the P makes no sense from the biblical perspective, so if we do that, just keep in mind I may often have to refer to other areas of scripture as a necessary foundation.

I have no problem discussing these issues, but could you at least reply to me in the other thread, even here, about your assertions regarding James misuse of John 6?

After that, I will post a new thread regarding our "friendly" discussion running backwards from the "P", OK? I will email you when the thread is up if you like.

Mark

ps, let us make that discussion be "link and paste free" ok?

Mark

Brody said...

You said "Sure am, but starting in the P makes no sense from the biblical perspective, so if we do that, just keep in mind I may often have to refer to other areas of scripture as a necessary foundation."

As you wish Brother.

You said "I have no problem discussing these issues, but could you at least reply to me in the other thread, even here, about your assertions regarding James misuse of John 6?"

I have replied. Essentially, I am up for discussing John 6 with you and interacting with you on the issue. And by doing so, will show what I believe to be the correct view.

You said"After that, I will post a new thread regarding our "friendly" discussion running backwards from the "P", OK? I will email you when the thread is up if you like.

Mark"

Sounds good.

You said " ps, let us make that discussion be "link and paste free" ok?"

Not sure what you are asking....But I usually do not quote anything but scriptures in my replies. I will probably quote what you say, as to keep the viewers on track.

Let me know in better detail what you are referring to. Thanks.

Tartanarmy said...

Thanks Brody. I will contact you via email and start a new thread for us.

Please also read the other thread and provide a response if you like. Sometimes it is difficult trying to provide a response when we are both talking in two threads!

I was referring to our answers to be without paste jobs from others, unless we are directly quoting say James or Steve, and also I was referring to us not filling our dialogue with links to other people and stuff like that.
(Just a basic ground rule to facilitate discussion between us.)

Using plenty of scripture is fine, just as long as we exegete it and not simply proof text all the time.
Truth is found in the interpretation of scripture not by quoting tons of passages without exegesis, right?

Feel free to comment here before I email you further Brody.

Blessings
Mark