Stunning

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Paedobaptism vs Credobaptism.

The following is from the Unchained blog, and God willing I plan to say much more upon this important subject....
For more background stuff click here and scroll down for more reading and links.

Blogger Mister Steve said...

Thanks Pastor Gene for taking my call on "The Problem of Good" for the Atheist. Yes. They do have a lot of explaining to do. I posted the link to your show on my blog. I hope you don't mind. Oh, and I also gave "Big Jesse", another NM addict, your message of, "Orale!" God Bless!

12:07 AM

Blogger Tartanarmy said...

Hey Gene, the atheist you work with who talked about living forever reminds me of the passage,

Ecc 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in His time; also He has set eternity in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God makes from the beginning to the end.

Ah, on the Baptism issue, in regards to mediation in the NC, do you not consider our Federal Headship status as being directly related to regeneration rather than subjective testimony as the biblical focus or pre-eminance?

I bring it up because it seems pretty simple that on top of Invisible/Visible Church distinctions, all is made clear by regeneration, which of course is given to all for whom Christ mediates. The Lord knows them that are His.

Not all in the NC are regenerated (Hence the mediation argument is moot since mediation and regeneration are connected, yes?) and making the profession of believers the subjective emphasis is anthopocentric don't you think?

Mark

11:04 AM

Delete
Blogger Josh Brisby said...

One of the things which brought me to paedobaptism specifically was the external/internal distinction the NT makes wrt the covenant. Our Lord says "every branch IN ME" will be cut off if it does not bear fruit; that at least prima facie shows that someone can be "in" the covenant externally but not "of" the covenant internally. The NT never exegetes Jer. 31:31-34 the way Reformed Baptists take it.

9:50 AM

Blogger Tartanarmy said...

Well said Josh, and I used to be one of the strongest defenders of the credo position..

In fact, it was whilst in the very middle of a debate with a Paedobaptist that I was converted to the Paedo side.

I thought I was about to win the debate with my well polished "Mediator" of the NC argument and regenerate NC logic, when all of a sudden the Lord impressed certain things upon me, including what you said above, but precisely, I was forced to look again at Abraham and circumcision, and when I realised that he was commanded to circumcise his son who would not be an inheritor of the promise, I was gobsmacked and everything fell into place for the first time with me. I no longer could defend the subjective, man centred credo position any longer.

2:25 AM

Delete

No comments: