Stunning

Monday, December 17, 2007

Soul sleep...Part 1

You may have come to this post by way of google, and were hoping to find out about what happens after we die? What shall be our state?

Well, I have nothing to say about that here. I wish to address the sleeping giant, the mass of evangelicals scattered throughout the whole world. The people who claim to be The Church of the living God.
Man, where to start. I will just jump right in and see where I end up.

Apathy!
I am sure there is a much better word, but that one will do for a start.

I am a Calvinist. I hold to God being the controller and sustainer of all things, right down to the sub atomic particles. I have a profound belief in the sovereignty of God. He is at work in this World, always has been, and ever will have until all things are brought to an end this side of eternity.
God's people will be saved, sanctified and ultimately glorified. Of these matters I have no doubt.

But where are we today, at this moment in time?
What is the standing of the Church upon the earth in the year of our Lord 2007, just before Christmas?

I mentioned something about apathy, and it is to that kind of soul sleep I am referring.

I am 42 years of age and have been a Christian since 1992. I have memories of the 70's, 80's and 90's.
In many ways we are living in a different world to my parents and certainly my Grandparents.
My dad has never quite "got" the computer thing, and my Grandad if he were still alive was quite blown away with that video thing and had problems even saying the word correctly.
So we live in a so called technological age, with all of the benefits and ingenuity of man.
The world is said to be a smaller place, bridged mainly by said modern technology.
Yeah, we still have third world or rather "emerging" nations and all that, and yeah we still have poverty and displacement of peoples and wars and rumours of wars and we still have so called natural disasters, corrupt politicians and everyone pays their taxes, eats, sleeps, makes families and tries to live freely in a modern world that goes about it's business.

Yet for all of our modern ways, I am convinced that the art of communication has declined to the point of danger on many fronts. I use the term danger as a positive inference which I will later address, but in the meantime I am talking about simple communication. Real interaction of a voice to voice, ear to ear reciprocation.

It is as if the whole world has erected and embraced a kind of mass evacuation of communication, and has decided to sign a universal pact to issue a growing battery of contact mechanisms designed to stunt communication, so we have messages instead, and we speak into voice machines or we try to argue with human corporate robots or actual real robots that entertain you by clicking the buttons on your high tech cordless digital phone which takes your enquiry and gives you three or four options, when all you want to do is speak to a real live human being, or maybe even a really smart robot given that we live in a high tech age.

We are living in the ultimate irony ever known to mankind. A veritable mass of communication technology that in itself has the seeds to destroy decent communication, note that word decent, as I will ride that word in this rant later on too.

Oh, don't get me started! I think I shall at this point have a wee break, just long enough to get my mind to struggle where to go next. I say that deliberately because I have a slight case of apathy I am fiercely attempting to shake off, and every day it seems to be getting a wee bit worse, and it scares me no end.

At this point I will reflect and take comfort in God's Word.

Psalm 121

1
I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; 4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD watches over you— the LORD is your shade at your right hand; 6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; 8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

To be continued

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear and understand every word you have written so far... Come part two!